Wednesday 30 April 2008

Website madness

Finding a web bureau is driving me to distraction….. I have been contemplating it for so many months. While I am much clearer in my own mind over how I want the site to look and feel, and what I want to do with it, I am no clearer in my decision as to what sort of platform I should build it on.

I need a CMS, a content management system, and there are a lot of them around. Some are designed by the web bureaus that use them, others are available upon payment of a licence fee and yet others are free and widely available like Joomla, Drupal and Wordpress.

It isn’t just a question of price but also ease of use, functionality and longevity. I am going to be making a lot of changes myself and will need to learn to use this system, and/or eventually pay someone else to do the updating. I need a system that is not going to cost me a fortune every time I want to add something , one that is able to grow with me and the vision I have for the website. And I need something that will last the distance.

I have had a range of quotes for building the website- 25,000kr ($5,000), 45,000kr ($9,000) and well over 100,000kr ($20,000). I have heard a couple of figures of 100,000kr (approx $20,000) for a platform and today I heard 400,000kr ($80,000) for a complete website. That is a lot of money. But then again this website is my everything – it is my business…..

The search continues.

No comments:

Post a Comment