Monday 10 August 2009

Getting unpacked and sorted out

We've spent days unpacking (7 suitcases x23kg plus hand luggage!!) and finding room for everything, sorting through things, weeding out anything that is too small or no longer used/needed). It is still not all done but after a major overhaul in the kids' room today we are getting there.

It is always nice to come home, living in someone else's place and out of suitcases for over 6 weeks takes its toll and we've done it twice in the last 12 months - that's 3 months of the year away from home!!

Our saving grace when we go to Canada is the cottage, it is our refuge, our home away from home where we can really unpack, relax and be ourselves.
Walking back into our apartment brings a very unique feeling and I feel it upon each return, with some variation. It is hard to put words to it but the place always feels so crisp and neat and depending on where we have been it often feels very, very small. Sometimes I walk into a room and get a shock at how small it is, sometimes the whole place shocks me for how small it is - especially when we have been in Australia where we have so, so much space at my mum's place.

But even if it feels small it feels undeniably ours and I like it - at least until we have unpacked all the suitcases and then it is just crazy and it drives me crazy having all the stuff everywhere!! And as I said, it takes days to get it sorted out..... On the upside it forces us to go through everything every six months or so - every thing in here has to have a good reason for staying!

I'm tired of living in a small apartment, 73 square metres is not a lot of space when you have two kids - even if the original owners did have three and lived here for 50 some years.... That's Stockholm living for you - our friends and peers at home would hardly believe their eyes!
But we have to be patient and hang in there a little longer. Our time will come, I know it will. And there are lots of good things about living in a small space - epecially when you are a hoarder by nature - it has been a good, long lesson for me. This small space has a positive impact on the kids too, in lots of ways - Makaila has made it quite clear that she wouldn't want her own room - even if she could (we'll see how long that lasts).

3 comments:

  1. in Singapore a very high percentage of her citizens stay in apartments or flats as we call them

    and they are small too but we have no choice as Singapore does not have a lot of land...

    that's why you probably see only a little red dot on the world map when looking for Singapore... so it's become our nick-name... the Little Red Dot...

    cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You once told me to be patient when I was looking for property Miss ;-)

    Welcome back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Geotacs - I do love Singapore but I didn't know Little Red Dot was her nickname. I have an aunt who comes from there so I know Singaporians share the plight of small living space. But it is a great place!

    Shane did I tell you that?? ;)
    Oh I guess I'm running out of patience....
    And thanks - its nice to be back - at least on the sunny days!

    ReplyDelete